Wed, 04 Aug 2021

Nigerian state closes 7 schools due to insecurity

Xinhua
21 Jun 2021, 02:30 GMT+10

LAGOS, June 20 (Xinhua) -- An official of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) on Sunday said seven schools in the northwestern state of Kebbi had been shut down in the aftermath of an attack on a secondary school in the state by gunmen on Thursday.

Isah Arzika, state chairman of the union in Kebbi, confirmed this in a statement on Sunday, saying those affected were schools located on the frontlines of the areas prone to attacks by suspected bandits.

He said the government had directed all school principals to close school which was not safe, adding that police and vigilantes had also been deployed to the schools for monitoring and protection.

"Government has given us an order and option to take any necessary action as far as our schools are concerned. That we can close those schools which we think are not safe and prone to attacks in the areas close to the forest," he said.

He said so far seven schools have been closed and such a move is a proactive measure to guard against a recurrence of the incident similar to that of Federal Government College at Birnin Yauri area on Thursday.

A group of unidentified gunmen on Thursday attacked the college in Birnin Yauri area of the state, killing one police officer and abducted an unspecified number of students and at least three teachers.

A spokesman for the Nigerian army said troops on Friday rescued 7 abducted victims from the school, including five students and two teachers.

A series of gunmen attacks recently happened in the northern part of the most populous African country, including attacks on schools and the kidnapping of students.

More Nigeria News

Access More

Sign up for Nigeria News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!